A for Acronym

A for Acronym

Non-Component Game

Aims

• For this game I wanted to create a game that people could play while waiting in a queue for a ride, at a social event in need of a distraction, for a team building exercise, or even in the car on a long journey.
  • Being a non-component game, it required nothing to be able to play, so therefore I wanted to make sure it was a game that anyone could get involved and was easy to pick up for new players quickly.
  • I wanted the game to encourage creativity and allow players to come up with their own cleaver, funny answers.

Coming up with the game

Thinking about this game I wrote down as many non-component games I could think of. In particular I thought of games like 20 Questions, Truth or Dare, Try not to Laugh, Eye spy, etc. I like these games because they are easily played and can be played almost anywhere. Unlike some other non-component games like It, or Hide and Seek; these games do not require much space to play so they can be enjoyed while waiting in line for something or travelling or at a social event. This is the kind of game I wanted to create, something that uses a player’s mind and creativity.

The Game

The game I came up with is called A for Acronym. The game needs three or more people to play as one acts as judge and the other two or more players need to come up with a creative answer to the judge’s acronym.

The Rules

1. Players must first elect the judge of the first round, this it is determined by the tallest player.
  2. Once the judge has been selected it is their job to come up with an acronym between three to five letters long. For example, the judge may come up with G.O.S.S. The judge may use any letter combination they wish.
  3. Once the judge has decided on their acronym for the round they must inform the rest of the players.
  4. Once the other players have heard the judge’s acronym they must come up with a phrase, saying, company name, sentence etc. To fit that acronym, for example if the judge’s acronym was G.O.S.S. The player may come up with ‘Granny’s On Scooters Society’.
  5. Once all players have had some time to think they must take turns going around the group each payer saying a loud their answer to the judge’s acronym.
  6. Once the judge has heard all of the answers, they must then decided which is the best answer. Whichever player had the best answer is declared the winner of that round and they become the judge on the next round.

Play test

Positives Summary:

• The game was easily understood by players
  • Players enjoyed the creative freedom
  • Players appeared to find the game entertaining

Issues Summary:

• Long pause in play while players think of their answers
  • 5 letter long acronyms might be too long for players to think of answers quickly

The first play test had a positive reception from players. Players understood the rules and enjoyed the freedom of coming up with their own acronym and allowing the other players to come up with their best answers.

I did notice that once the judge gave out their acronym there was a long pause before any of the players could really think of something to fit it. This could potentially be fixed by reducing the number of letters the judges are allowed to use but it didn’t affect the game too much, perhaps this is something that is unavoidable when players have to come up with a with a sentence with only the input of a few letters.

Conclusion

I believe I have created a successful non-component game that works as a game to be played at social events, waiting in a queue, going on a trip etc. This is due to the evidence from the play test, players found enjoyment from the game, and it successfully entertained for some time. The game also has the benefit of being able to be played in smaller spaces, requiring no movement from players just their creativity.

I do think the game has room for refinement, especially to remedy the pause in play that occurs once the judge announces their acronym. Potential fixes for this could be limiting the number of letters judges are allowed to use in their acronym to 3 letters long. I still expect a pause as players take in the acronym and think about words that fit and would work to make other players laugh. But I hope this would reduce the length of the pause.

What would I improve

I am keen to take this game further as I think there is real potential for a social/party game. I think this game could be converted into a card game that will allow me to add additional elements such as fixed words that players have to use in their sentences to apply a bit more of a challenge. Even perhaps judges collect cards in their hand, and they are only allowed to use the letters they have collected. I think this idea has further potential and I am excited to see what I can do to take it further.